Wednesday, December 21, 2011

136. A Date

Circa 1958

As for staying in touch with her customers, Sally did not impress me in her role of guardian angel or real estate agent.  I don’t know how long it was after she visited the monastery that she called to ask for the deed, which sent me down to talk to Lance.  And while it’s true I told her we were no longer for sale, I thought she might just call to check in from time to time.  For some reason, I didn’t think she was using angelic powers for that task.  A month or so after Lance told me how he came to own his property, I decided to call Sally.  I wanted to know who she was.

I sat by the phone and felt as I did over fifty years ago when I called a girl to ask for my first date.  Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach and I had to will my left hand to pick up the phone and my right hand to start punching in Sally’s telephone number.

“We need to talk,” I said when she came on the line.

“Brother Jesse,” she said, “how are you?  I’m sorry I haven’t been in touch with you.”

“Not a very good guardian angel, are you?” 

I was sorry as soon as it passed my lips, but it just came out.

The comment was met by silence.

“Sally,” I said,  getting right to it, “can I meet you somewhere so we can talk?”

The silence continued, then she said, “Sure, I guess.  Anything to be of help.  I’ll be in Saugerties tomorrow.  I’ll meet you at the bookstore.”




No comments: