Monday, December 19, 2011

130. Over And Out

I added up the weeks and determined the United States Government owed us money in arrears. I was aware Alfred had not been to the monastery in some weeks.
“What do you think?” I asked Izzy. “You want to call your brother or shall I?”
“I have a feeling the deal is over,” said Izzy. “I think Alfred heard about the meeting we held. Julio was there, you’ll remember.”
“But we didn’t come to a consensus,” I said.
“True,” said Izzy “but a couple of the Brothers spoke very vehemently against this arrangement and you did not defend it at all.”
“I’m not of fan of it, either,” I said. “Just the money.”
“When people in my brother’s business sense trouble, they’re out of it quickly,” said Izzy. “All that’s left is the smell of their after-shave.”
We used the loudspeaker on Izzy’s cell phone when we called Alfred.
“It was a nice idea, folks,” said Alfred, “but you were outted when Julio got through to his girlfriend, who turns out to be everybody’s girlfriend, if you know what I mean.”
I wasn’t sure I did, but I let it go.
“I can send you a check for $2,000, but that’s it.,” said Alfred.
I accepted the offer. It could very well be the only money we’ll have to pay any expenses of getting out of here.
“What about Julio?” I asked. “He’s still here.”
“I guess you’ll have to kick him out. I can send someone to help if he doesn’t want to leave, but it won’t be pretty,” said Alfred.
Lord, no,” I replied. “We’ll talk to him.”




No comments: