Monday, December 19, 2011

129. Translation

I just had to get away from everyone this morning and so I came back down here to my old haunt in the cellar.  In an idle manner, I looked around the Internet.  It occurred to me that I hadn’t thought lately of  Bulgarian artist Bozhidar Boyko, the painter who executed St. Lucy on stained glass. Googling him up, I discovered Bozhidar is evidently no longer in the small town of Bozhurishte near Sofia, but according to a local news article that I was able to translate using Babelfish, he has left town. It's always dangerous to trust language translations from Babelfish, of course. I once heard about the terrible autobahn accident that a well known Brother in Germany survived and I sent him a note. I cranked the phrase "wishing you a speedy recovery" into Babelfish and emailed the results in German off to Stuttgart. Later his assistant told me that in vernacular German it actually said "I demand you quickly re-assemble yourself."

Anyway, after running the Bozhurishte Daily Bugle news article through Babelfish, I’m aware Bozhidar has left town to either buy a serpent or to marry his sister.




No comments: