Sunday, January 1, 2012

156. Bank On Us

I had not paid a single bill since becoming the abbot, nor had I deposited either the $10,000 check from Alfred or his last check for $2,000.  Bouncer and I drove down to the bank to make the deposit into our account.

I honestly don’t know why we have always used this bank in town.  The tellers are the slowest clerks in the world, I sometimes think, mostly because they’re always catching up on the latest news from their customers who are also their neighbors.  You’d think they’d do that over the back fence on their days off.  They’re just out of high school and very friendly, except to those they didn’t grow up with.  If you’re not part of their set of people, they are barely cordial.  Another customer once told me she thought the teller-kids were afraid of anyone they hadn’t gone to school with because their teachers had warned that outsiders could read their thoughts, so better to keep one’s mind blank when dealing with them.  She seemed quite serious.  When it came my turn, I was lucky to get a real woman instead of a girl-child who was nice to everyone.  

“I’d like to deposit these,” I said, “but I no longer have any deposit slips for our checking account.”

“That’s no problem,” she said with a smile. “If I can see some identification I’ll look up your account on the computer.”

I endorsed the back of the checks totaling $12,000 while she clicked away at the keys.  I envied her typing speed, especially with numbers which always slowed me down. 

“Here they are, she said.  “You have two accounts. Which account do you want to deposit into?”

A light bulb clicked on in my head.  “The one with less money,” I said, “and then I’d like to know the balance of each account.”

“Sure,” she said.  The little printer next to her whirred and spit out first one slip of paper then another.  She handed both to me.
“Have a nice day!” she said with beautiful smile.

I nonchalantly accepted the slips and walked outside the bank and got into the SUV with Bouncer.  Then I looked at each slip of paper. The first showed an account with $12,009.87 in it.  The second showed a balance of $199,584.98.

“Are we rich?” joked Bouncer.

“As a matter of fact,” I answered, “we are.”


No comments: