Thursday, January 5, 2012

164. Delivery

The ambulance arrived at the McDonalds and through the tall window I saw the lights flash as the vehicle rolled up to the side door.  A uniformed man and woman in their twenties entered the restaurant and walked over to us when Mary waved to them.  While the woman EMT spoke with Mary, the fellow guided me outside and helped me up into the back of the ambulance with a little shove at the small of my back.  He helped me onto the stretcher.  After he started an IV line he attached little stickies to my arms and chest for the instrumentation.  Then he clicked a button on the radio and called my vitals into a nearby hospital.  The person in the Emergency Room made no comment about my condition. 

The woman EMT arrived and I was disappointed not to see Mary.  I wanted to thank her. 

"Where's Mary?" I asked the woman EMT.

"Who?"  she replied.

"The truck-driving nurse you were just talking to," I said.

"She said she had to get back on the road," said the woman.

"Oh," I said.  "I should have said goodbye and thanked her."

"Had to get the truck to New York by midnight, she said."

"Yeah," I said, "a load of medical supplies, she told me."

"Did you call her Mary?" asked the EMT.

"Yes," I replied.

"The name on her Nurse ID was Sally," said the woman.

"Sally?"  I asked, not certain I believed my ears.

"Sally Guardelli," said the woman. "I thought you knew each other."

"Yes.  Well, not really," I said.  "I may have met her once before."

"Sally said you'd been nothing but trouble," laughed the EMT, "since the day you were born."



Declan Galbraith - An Angel

No comments: