Tuesday, December 27, 2011

148. Responsible

I sit here with the known world out beyond the glass wall of Lance’s living room, typing on the Netbook he loaned me.  It’s small, but the keyboard is large enough and I can adjust the font size.  My words to the world via the Internet, if anyone is still listening, depend on those folks with Wi-Fi routers who don’t take the time to set up a security code.

As well, I can pick up a Wi-Fi signal  parked outside of  libraries and McDonalds, just to name a couple of places where I can get on the Web.

To those of you who have emailed me,  please accept my heartfelt Thanks.  I will try to write back to each of you as I have the time.

We lost the roof over our heads, that's for sure. And at least some of our antiquities work had indeed been important, but it wasn't exactly lost in the fire because it had been published. We held nothing valuable in our monastery except our lives. And every one of us who wanted his life kept it.

Perhaps I have been a bystander for too long. But I was made a player and I will answer for my sins as an active participant. I took years of evolution, a dance of atoms and molecules begun by a heavenly father, a part of whom no doubt evolved right along with his creation, and I ended a small part of it, just as surely as if I had shot Agnes through the heart. I stopped his cells' mitosis and meiosis and gametes and all those things and processes I learned in high school Biology class and promptly forgot ten minutes after the Regents Exam ended. I let a crazy man do himself in. I will some day stand before God and be asked if I thought I did the right thing in letting him die. I will be able to say only that I did what I thought was right when I needed to act.



No comments: