Sunday, December 4, 2011

98. The Letter



“Dear Brother Jesse the Younger,” she wrote.  “I have to tell you that you were quite an asshole 40 years ago and although there has been slight improvement, it is not easily measured.  Oh God! … literally … I was so scared when you boarded that Pan Am Super Liner for the flight to … (Sally names the place, but for publication here I’ll call it the Republic of Tangeroo.  That’s not its real name, of course, but I still have friends there I don’t wish to embarrass.)  I knew only that a plane crash was in the future, but I had no details, so each time you boarded an airliner, I quaked with fear for you.  When we touched down in RikiRiki,  I finally relaxed with a great sigh. 

I knew you were not suited to this assignment.  I had been listening to you speak with your spiritual director, your friends and counselor and I had even been inside your head and I couldn’t fathom why you thought it was time for you to give greatly of yourself so that others might live more abundant lives in better health.  You were such a selfish young man!  And naive!  Need I add illogical and often downright stupid?  I have to admit I came close to breaking my vow as a Guardian and letting you walk in harm’s way.  I felt that some of the people you were about to meet and minister to might be safer without your help.  Don’t ever expect me to choose your welfare over that of large groups of your associates.  Yes, He certainly loves you, but expect a little justice along with it.

But I have come to love you over the years. You may not often make sense, but you’ve got guts.  Sometimes.
(signed)
Sally

PS:  Here's a song especially for you.

No comments: