Wednesday, December 7, 2011

103. Real Money

A very ordinary looking Chevy drove up the driveway this afternoon and parked in the circular drive. I could see the car as soon as it left the main road because I was up on the roof. Now, don’t worry. I have been going up there lately to pray. You may laugh when I tell you it’s closer to heaven, but that’s technically true. And I can see right across the valley just like I was flying.

I hurried downstairs and met with Izzy and Alfred in the front room. They each sat in a wing back chair and I sat on the piano bench, getting a little height on them. Hey, it’s an old trick I learned in Africa. Alfred might have been a twin to Izzy. They are both short and solidly built, but Alfred has longish hair, a mustache and he’s fidgety.

We didn’t talk very long. Afterward, Izzy took his brother on a tour of the monastery. They found me in the kitchen about twenty minutes later.

“Would you like a check, Brother Jesse, or shall I arrange to make a direct deposits into the monastery’s account?” said Alfred.

“A check is fine,” I said. “Things are tight for us, as you probably know. So I’ll ask you how much the check is for.”

“We like to pay in advance to cover all eventualities,” he said. The initial payment will be for $10,000. And we’ll need to have a stock of food and supplies here. If you have room, I’d like to send a truck this week. You and the brothers are welcome to use any of the food, of course. Have Izzy let us know when it needs to be re-stocked.”

“We eat in a Spartan-like manner,” I said.

“Then your guest will eat as you do,” he said. “Meat and potatoes.”

“We may eat only the vegetables,” I said.

“Whatever you want,” said Alfred. “We certainly don’t want to disturb your lifestyle.”



No comments: