Monday, September 12, 2011

18. Disappointed

I drove Abbot Agnes to meet Sara at the McDonald’s near the Thruway this morning to deliver her the wedding invitations.  I was hoping he would ask me to come inside with him since I am the craftsman who printed them.  But he did not.  And when Agnes came outside afterward, I saw no young woman anywhere in the vicinity, so she may have left by the door on the other side of the building or stayed for a second cup of coffee.  Just as well.   


I didn’t ask to join them.  There was no need for me to meet her.  However, I did want to see her.  Not to ogle her.  Not really.  That could lead to sin.  Actually, I was hoping to find her as ugly as a manatee so that I could stop thinking about … well, about whether it was worthwhile to remain celibate my entire life.  Pretty much.  


With the wedding invitations complete,  there’s not much going on here in the print shop.  Thank goodness Agnes didn’t return and order me to get on the phone to drum up more printing business to augment our income.  But I shouldn’t worry.  Few people want this kind of printing any more, except for wedding invitations and certificates of one kind or another.  And I don’t mind setting type and printing them occasionally.  I’ve done other short runs and printed up bookmarks for libraries.  But I don’t want to get hammered with business!  Besides, customers couldn’t possibly wait as long as it takes me to set the type and do the makeready and hand feed each card or sheet and pump the foot treadle and stack and fold the work.   


I hope the best for Sara, her marriage and her future life.  He’s a lucky guy.





Couldn't resist this!

No comments: