Tuesday, November 29, 2011

90. No Joy

I drove home from Rhinecliff Station puzzling over the “Not forever” statement by Agnes. Something seemed wrong in all of this. When I parked the van behind our Chapter House and entered the kitchen, Izzy was tending the two dinner pots.

“And has my lord and master delivered my other lord and master to the train?” he asked.

“No need to bow, faithful servant,” I said. “What do you think of all this, Iz.”

“He sure seemed to get out of here awfully fast,” Izzy replied. “And do you really think he’s made an arrangement with the Bunderhoff? That does seem unusual.”

I stepped into the small office where two days before I had been informed of my impending ascendancy. Rummaging through the little desk, I found a small personal telephone directory. I could see various samples of handwriting, no doubt from Sparky and earlier abbots. Flipping back and forth through the pages, I found a listing for Bunderhoff under “B.” I dialed the number and asked for Brother Gustav.

When he came on the line, I introduced myself as the abbot of Our Lady’s monastery at West Saugerties.”
“West Saugerties?” said Gustav. “I never knew there was a monastery there.”

“Then you had no agreements or discussion with our former abbot, Brother Agnes?” I said.

“I’m afraid I never heard of him,” was his reply.



No comments: