Monday, November 21, 2011

78. Overheard

Calls have been coming in on our phone from Fermoy.  They are inconvenient to any of us using the kitchen, which in addition to being our beans and rice cookery, is also our workshop.  There is a side table where Bouncer often fiddles with any one of a myriad of plumbing devices laid out for his study.  Agnes clears everyone out when the McFour call him.  We have to carry our work over to the laundry and butchery across the hall.  Sparky had another phone in the tiny room he called his office, but Agnes never uses it.

I was not purposely eaves-dropping yesterday as I worked in the pantry trying to find and plug mouse holes, but when the phone rang and I heard Cat run looking for Agnes, I suspected it was Fermoy calling and that I had a minute or two before Agnes arrived.  I planned to leave the pantry  through the kitchen to get out of hearing range.   But Agnes was just coming in the side door and immediately picked up the phone and began to talk.  I would have felt obvious bursting through the kitchen just then.

I never suspected Agnes and the men in Fermoy held any more surprises for us and I heard Agnes say, “Of course they know why I’m here and we’ve discussed it as a group.  This is a terrible thing to do to them.”

I could do nothing but agree with him.  Agnes was silent for a moment and then gave a great sigh.

“That is an evil deed to contemplate, Brother St. Anne,” I heard Agnes hiss into the phone.  “I will not do it.”

And after a full minute, Agnes, sounding close to tears spoke again.

“St. Anne,” he said, “we will both rot in hell for this.”



Yes, I know I've used this ... one of the great songs of the ... was it the '80s?    Crystal Gale - Talking In Your Sleep

No comments: