Wednesday, November 2, 2011

64. Imagination

I wouldn’t be the first religious brother or priest to have fallen for a girl, but I might be the first to fall for my guardian angel.  And I sure as hell am the first to have my guardian angel parading around as a real estate broker. 

I’m not kidding.  It absolutely has to be her.  I walked right up to her as she stood by her car and looked her in the eye.  She quailed a little, but stood her ground and stared at me as if to dare me to say anything of our previous meeting.  Or  I suppose it’s possible she’s a human and she was just reacting like a strong young woman.  But dammit, I’m sure it’s her.  Pretty sure.  How could it not be her?  Even the same name!  I’m not that batty.  Pretty sure I’m not.

Women are a bother!  Terd once said that if God had made a third sex, women would get far less attention.

Most of us monks have been attracted to women, although a few didn’t care much for them in the first place. I hope it doesn’t surprise any readers that a quite normal religious Brother might have a heart that loves and falls and breaks just like other men. However, our vocation is usually more important to us than walking the path of marriage in conjugal bliss. There were only one or two women in my life that I remember with romantic fondness, and occasionally on a beautiful spring evening more than fondness. Then there are the few who existed only in my mind, like Sara. Not the real Sara, of course, but the Sara who would choose to fly fish on her honeymoon and who can tie a mean attractor fly while she stands in the middle of the stream. And yes, of course, the imaginary Sara who has all the standard equipment.

I think I mentioned that in our Order we renew our vows every five years. There have been times in the past when I thought about not renewing. Maybe I’d find a job somewhere and settle into the landscape. It’s possible my idea of being a confirmed bachelor might change when I found myself figuratively rubbing against a pleasant woman and …. well, you know.




No comments: