Saturday, October 22, 2011

54. Thoughts Of The Future


Mrs. Spartano is no longer alive.  The poor women died in her sleep soon after I moved out and came up here to Our Lady’s.  I was allowed to go to her funeral.  I wore my good monk’s robe, the one I call my Prom Robe.   My comical mother  gave me the robe in a strong thick box and called it my trousseau.  It's final use will be that of a shroud,  just like the suit we kept for Dad to wear in his casket.    

The robe is of fine wool and I have seldom had any occasion to wear it.  But I suppose it will help me look my best someday when  I’m standing around outside the pearly gates waiting for St. Peter to bring the keys.

I don’t remember my short life with Mrs. Spartano to have been all that pleasant, but if the Brothers and I get kicked out of here, I would be happy to go back to such a place.  A simple room is all I need.  I’ve been without personal possessions now for so long that I would find them a bother.  I'd like  shelves for books.  I would like a car, if I could afford one.  Maybe I could get by with a bicycle.  However, my balance may no longer be good enough for riding a bike, come to think of it.   If I can afford a car I can drive upstate to a shrine I’ve wanted to visit for many years.

I never spent much time thinking about the future, but these days I do.  It will not be pleasant to have to live anywhere  but here at Our Lady’s.   When thoughts of our future eviction come to mind, I feel hurt and resentful.  I’d like to take a boat over to Ireland and give those idiotic men a piece of my mind.  I’m sure they’d be impressed.  They’re not the old guys I remember from almost forty years ago, however.  There’s a new breed over there.  Maybe they’re MBA’s and they probably have everything figured out.  To whose benefit I don’t yet know. 

 Merle Haggard 


No comments: