Saturday, October 15, 2011

47. Terd Talks

The sun was warmer than I had anticipated when we left the monastery in the SUV.   We sat on what must be the only bench in the village of Saugerties on the main street that runs through the town.  People drove by only a few feet from us at a slow pace in the traffic.  They stared at us in our work robes.  Other more gracious folks kept putting dollar bills in our hands.  Agnes had asked Terd to come with us, for reasons unknown to me. 

“Are you not ready to tell me why you are at odds with Agnes?" I asked Terd.  "And by the way, be so kind as to include why you haven’t shared it with me before.”

“What do we do with this money, Ace,” asked Terd, referring to the dollar bills building up in his hand. 

“Buy a six pack,” I said.  “When Agnes comes back, you throw the beer in his arms while I snap the picture and we’ll soon be rid of him.”

“You think his Irish bosses are going to be scandalized by a six pack?”  asked Terd.

I couldn’t think of a snappy response, so I let my sail luff in the wind.

“Well?”  I said, going back to what we had been discussing.

“You know I can’t tell you the Abbot’s business,” said Terd.

“And what do you know of his busines?” I asked.

“Right now he’s with a woman,” came Terd’s reply.
This shocked me and I wanted to be sure I understood what my Brother was telling me.

“Agnes has a lover?  In Saugerties?  At his age?”  I asked, my voice crescendoing upwards.

“She’s not Agnes’ lover,” said Terd.  “She’s his real estate broker.”


No comments: