Wednesday, October 5, 2011

35. No Time Left

“Are you ready to talk yet?” I inquired of Terd as we both left the breakfast room on this cold and cloudy day. He made no effort to even acknowledge my speaking to him and I felt as Agnes must have when Terd was sarcastic with him.  I became angry, very angry, as we walked down the hall.   I rushed along trying to keep up with the man and when we came to a widened out part of the hallway, an alcove that contains a couch and chair,  I suddenly heaved into him with all my might so that he went flying sideways into the small space and plowed into the easy chair,  pushing it up against the wall.  He landed on his knees facing into the seat of the chair.  I landed on the couch on my back, quite winded.

“Are you all right, Jesse?” he asked after a moment.

“Yes, I am just fucking fine, thank you very much you big oaf,” I replied.
He didn’t even apologize.  He laughed quietly.  Then a serious look came over his face.

“Where will you go, Jesse?”  he asked.

“What do you mean?” I said.

“When they close this place down,” he said.

“I’ve got time to think about it, surely,” I said.

“Not much,” he replied.


No comments: