Thursday, September 8, 2011

15. Fear

There is ill feeling between Terd and Agnes.  Like most of the Brothers,  Terd joined in the whisperings and mild complaints about Agnes when the boat from Ireland hove to and deposited the new Abbot here in West Saugerties.  But as the months wore on and most of us became used to the little Irishman and his peculiarities,  Terd’s  attitude worsened.  Over the past few weeks his comments have at times been ugly.  One might assume Terd’s attitude toward his abbot severely worsened when he was told by Agnes that I would be the new errand boy and driver.  Terd said he was not bothered in the least, but I knew better.

At the hospital yesterday,  I could see anger in the big man’s eyes as the policemen accosted him.   But worse,  when Agnes took charge of the melee, a cold hard fury burst across Terd’s face.  I can understand the human aspect of a large and physically superior, as well as highly educated,  man being annoyed when a chirping leprechaun steps in to save the day.  But the depth of Terd’s contempt left me frightened.  I have known the man for years and love him as a brother, but I am beginning to fear the person who may be emerging from his anger.  And I do not understand why he so dislikes Agnes.


More Cow bell!

No comments: