Monday, August 1, 2011

3. Here In The Cellar (2)


You might wonder how I came to get on the Internet.  Only a few years back,  I discovered the Abbot Agnes had a laptop computer in the bottom drawer of a tiny desk the prior Abbot had used for his office.  Agnes said neither Sparky (Brother Abbot Saint Florian of Linz,) or he ever had any need of it.  I asked to borrow the little computer and told Agnes I would use it to seek donations from the general public. I said it with a straight face and I kind of intended to do just that, despite the small likelihood that such begging would be lucrative.   He was frankly disinterested, knew nothing about the Internet and evidently thought of it as a modern version of the old Western Union Telegraph, where messages came in on spaghetti-like strips of paper that were cut into sentences and glued on a message form.

Now that I know a little about the wired world, I can say with some degree of certainty that tremendous odds were stacked against my success as I got the laptop connected to the Internet and started a blog.

And while it’s true that I may be the only novice ever to open the directions packed with the computer and follow  them explicitly from A to Z, it’s also true my Guardian Angel had to have contributed to the enterprise significantly.   She is something!  More about her later.




No comments: